Fire at Upper Perkiomen High School Cancels Classes

Upper Perkiomen high school is closed Monday after a fire broke out at around 10:30 Saturday morning.

According to fire officials the blaze erupted due to some type of electrical or mechanical failure that happened on top of a wooden cabinet in the tech education room. It’s still not clear what the exact cause of the fire. While dousing the flames and coping with the smoke two firefighters suffered minor injuries. The fire caused smoke damage throughout the building. Upper Perkiomen School District Superintendent Alexis McGloin released a statement stating, “while this is certainly is a devastating blow to the upper perk community, we are very fortunate that the fire did not occur on a school day.” Mcgloin also thanked first responders for their quick action to keeping the community safe.