- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
- Consumer Advocate: Safer To Use Credit Card Instead of Debit When Shopping
- Alzheimer’s Research Underway At 3 Universities in Pa.
- Long Prison Term For 21 Year Old Man in Rape of Girl
Listen to these shows on demand right now
Cross-Country Walker Visits NP Area
A Long Island, New York man passed through the North Penn area Wednesday on a walk across the country on behalf of an organization dedicated to ensuring that all military personnel get counseling prior to discharge. Ron Zaleski says many people don’t get it, even though they need it.
“When they come home they’ve changed and they think everybody else has. They start to get out of the ‘fight or flight’ mode, so then they start to deal with the issues of what had happened, and then the stress drives them to suicide, and also a lot of times when they come home their relationships break up, their families leave them, the can’t get a job, so that doesn’t help the situation either.”
Zaleski says he is not wearing shoes, so he walks only between about 6:00 and 11:00 in the morning to protect his feet from burning in the summer heat. He ended Wednesday’s walk at Merrymead Farm, where he enjoyed some ice cream. To learn more, or to make a donation, go to his organization’s website at thelongwalkhome.org.