- Lansdale’s Christmas Tree Lighting Postponed
- Trial Ordered For Two Brothers Accused of Home Invasion
- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
- Consumer Advocate: Safer To Use Credit Card Instead of Debit When Shopping
Listen to these shows on demand right now
Montco Habitat Dedicates A Home
Habitat for Humanity of Montgomery County dedicated its 51st home Saturday in Pottstown, turning it over to new owner Carla Day, who grew up in the Pottstown Area. Habitat’s Associate Director of Development, Kim Tobin, says people who benefit from the program do not get free homes.
“They make monthly mortgage payments. The benefit from Habitat is that it’s at zero percent interest, so that saves a lot of money for the homeowner, but they do have to show that they can pay a mortgage and utility costs and still have money to provide for their family.”
Tobin says they also need to put in sweat equity, which means they spend time on rehabbing or building their home before they move in, and before that they need to attend a New Family Orientation. The next one is set for Saturday, March 17, at the Norristown Library. For more information or to volunteer go to www.habitatmontco.org on the internet.